Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bogglins



Bogglins by P. Sasse, D. Auld, A. Karn.
©1992-93 Berkeley Systems Inc.

Part of the More After Dark collection.

Other than "What the heck?" I'm not sure what to think about Bogglins. I mean, it works great under modern Windows and that's wonderful and all but what purpose does this module serve? (I know, it's a screen saver, what is this talk of purpose.)

Perhaps as a precursor to "Totally Twisted", the Bogglin itself is nice and disgusting and I can respect it on that level. But the animation consists of moving around the screen, jiggling, and then exploding.

Other modules in the More After Dark collection have more complex animations so I know the technology existed to make this more "fun". Still, I like that this won a contest. Power to the people and all that.


BOGGLINS (tm)

A Bogglin is sort of a cross between Santa Claus and a pickle. He has apparently just eaten several hundred pounds of something that doesn't agree with him.

This example of Manga (Japanese-style cartooning) was written by Andy Karn, based on animated art submitted by Dann Auld to the 1992 After Dark Contest.

Windows version by:
Paul Sasse
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Richmond, CA

Original Mac version by:
Dann Auld and Andy Karn



Works under Windows XP & Vista in greater than 256 colors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen anything funnier than Bogglins. It is clearly the work of a profound comic genius the likes of which the world has never before seen.

And I'm not biased....

Dann Auld